Saturday, September 6, 2008

EDIT 7500 Project Concept

I have been giving this project a lot of thought and really like the idea of having a forum to discuss project ideas and progress.

I have been on multiple GAPSS reviews and one consistent deficiency is the integrated use of technology in classrooms, and after having redone our tech assignment three times, I have a clearer understanding of the complexity of incorporating the more non-traditional technology piece. This GAPSS observation is one of the reasons I became interested in this graduate program.

For this project I would like to demonstrate how "everyday" technology can become part of the curriculum and implemented by the kids in their classrooms; but it has to start with expanding the skill set of teachers and the exciting part is, I have teachers as my blog buddies who can give me authentic feedback! I would like to focus on students building "virtual field trips" around their lessons which would help them to understand how can their classroom learning be applied to their environments, such as how vacations, a day to the aquarium, or a trip to Grandpa's farm is relevant to math, science, or history; the "field trip" presentation can be done with a choice of "everyday" technology (rubric driven), not limited to PowerPoint or word-processing but using Wikis, blogs, iPod presentations, audio only presentations, journals, and more that I haven't thought of yet...

I took a Marine Science Tropical Field Studies class at a research center on San Salvador Island and become interested in the excitement of the teachers and how they were planning on sharing their new acquired knowledge with their students, great ideas with very little use of technology. Our days on the island were spent exploring the land and water and our nights were spent in class learning about various marine topics that we had seen during that day; weather, island history, tides, marine and land animals. The technology I took on the trip was a small recorder, camera, and cell phone. Is this "everyday" technology?

My project goal now is to take all the information I collected from the field studies class, separate it into my "everyday" technology categories and build knowledge-focused "virtual field trips" around a lesson plan(s).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are you planning to implement the lesson plan(s)?

Love the topic/project idea.

September 6, 2008 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Titus Martin said...

Wow, I think you have a great idea as your focus of your project. It should allow you to have an abundance of possibilities as far as the curriculum and the technology. I would be careful to not let it get too big, and be really specific. Sometimes as a teacher, I try to make things too broad and then have to narrow them down continuously throughout the design process.
Also, have you decided on a particular age group for the activity? This would greatly shape the scope of your lesson and give you a more specific purpose.
You probably have thought about these things, but they are just what came to mine. Overall, I think you have a great start to this assignment.

September 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home